More zucchini; hooray! If you are just starting to get sick of all the zucchini recipes you are finding; here is a refreshing new take on this wonderful summer vegetable. Thanks to our local Hillside Farm CSA with this inspirational recipe, we fell back in love with this green squash. Thinly sliced zucchini browned to perfection atop a deliciously flaky crust that stays together? What a great appetizer to any summer dinner that the kids will eat right up! Feel free to experiment with gluten free crusts, or just make as is if gluten doesn’t bother you. Regardless, enjoy every bite!
What You’ll Need
- 1 1/4 cups organic einkorn flour (ancient form of wheat)
- 5 oz. cold grass-fed butter
- 1/2 tsp white vinegar
- 3-4 T cold water
- 1 1/2 lb zucchini, sliced into 1/8 inch thick rounds
- 2 T extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz plain goat cheese
- 4 oz boursin cheese (with garlic and fine herbs)
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/2 tsp lemon balm, or lemon zest
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- marinated spicy peppers of your choice, optional
What to Do:
- Combine flour, butter and salt in a food processor and pulse until butter is in small chunks.
- Add vinegar and 3-4 tablespoons of cold water and pulse until the dough begins to come together.
- Roll into 1-inch thick rounds, cover and chill in fridge for a half hour.
- Roll the dough out until it is about 1/4 inch thick, cover and chill for another half hour.
- While the dough is chilling, toss the zucchini rounds with about a teaspoon of salt and let drain in a colander for a half hour. Once it has drained, gently press down on the zucchini to eliminate any excess water. Place in a medium bowl, add freshly ground black pepper and olive oil.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- In a smaller bowl, combine goat cheese, boursin, lemon balm, thyme, salt and pepper to taste. Add the spicy peppers at this point if desired. (Use a food processor if adding spicy peppers)
- Remove dough from fridge and arrange on a baking sheet. (Pizza stones work great, but cookie sheets work well too).
- Spread the cheese mixture evenly around leaving a 1/2 inch border.
- Arrange the zucchini in a spiral over top the cheese, starting from the outside and working your way in, overlapping each slice. Drizzle with olive oil and bake until golden brown; about 40 minutes.
Makes 1 tart