Zucchini, Carrot & Brown Rice Casserole
This is a delicious and hearty casserole for chilly winter nights.
Gluten-free bread crumbs may also be substituted.
- 1 cup organic brown rice
- 2 med. organic zucchini, chopped
- 4–6 organic carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup grass-fed cheddar or Monterey jack cheese, grated
- ¼ cup unseasoned bread crumbs
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- Olive oil or coconut oil
Prep and Cooking
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Sauté chopped onions in coconut or olive oil until clear. Add sliced carrots and continue to sauté. Add chopped zucchini and stir in vegetables, sautéing gently until slightly softened.
- While cooking vegetables, grate cheese in a bowl. Add bread crumbs to the cheese and the dried thyme.
- Mix with hands. Combine vegetable medley with the cooked brown rice in a shallow casserole dish.
- Sprinkle cheese/ bread crumb mix on top of rice and vegetables.
- Cover dish and bake until cheese is melted.
Serves four as a main dish, eight as a side.
Photo credit: Tia Ohm