Tinted Lip Moisturizer with Soothing Properties
Last week I was experimenting with making my own tinted lip balm, and of course my niece caught wind and immediately wanted to try it. She loved it. She loves all lipstick, and just had to have some. “Can you make this for me for Christmas?” Except I made purple, and she wanted pink, and so begins my tinted lip balm adventure.
It took me some failed attempts, and I am still learning my favorite color combo, but I have mastered the method and want to share so you too can experiment with the best suited color for you.
With beeswax, coconut oil, and cocoa butter or shea butter, you can make a lot of different beauty products. These are the 3 quintessential ingredients for lotions, body butters, lip moisturizers, and so on.
This 1:1:1 ratio of ingredients is perfectly versatile for anyone in the family with the option of adding all sorts of colors to suite each recipient. A homemade gift of this soothing lip balm is by far more special than any store bought salve, and is a very quick and useful last minute gift option.
For the Base:
1 tsp cocoa butter
1 tsp shaved beeswax
1 tsp coconut oil
1 drop of your favorite essential oil
5- 10 gram cosmetic containers
For Added Color:
Pink – add 1 capsule of cranberry powder + a pinch of beetroot powder
Tan/brown – 1/8 tsp cocoa powder, pinch of cinnamon, less than 1/8 tsp bentonite clay
Purple (not shown in picture) – 1/8 tsp beetroot powder, pinch of cocoa powder
For a natural clear lip balm, no added color is needed!
What To Do:
- Bring a medium/small pot of water to a boil, and use a heat safe glass jar to melt ingredients.
- Combine the base ingredients in the glass jar and let melt in the boiling pot of water.
- Once melted, turn off the heat and add the powders to make your desired color, and mix until dissolved (if doing a natural lip moisturizer, skip this step)
- Add essential oil and mix.
- Pour into your containers and let cool.
- Use as desired.