Roasted Beet Dip
This winter we are stocked with root vegetables; so many we don’t know what to do with. You can roast them, mash them, put ’em in your soup, but sometimes all that gets to be same old, same old. This week we tried a new style of eating one of our favorite underground veggies; beets. Beets are full of all different vitamins, and help cleanse the body naturally of toxins. When they are roasted and combined with a few other ingredients, you have a delicious, sweet and tangy appetizer. Make for your kid’s birthday party, or enjoy with the family before dinner.
- 1-2 large red beets
- 1 cup organic yogurt
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 T fresh dill, chopped
- 1 T freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Sea salt and cracked black pepper to taste
- Drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat your oven to 400°. Wash your beets, and place in glass casserole dish. Drizzle with olive oil and cover. Cook in preheated oven until tender, and a fork can be inserted easily, about 20 minutes.
- Once beets are cooked, remove from oven and let cool.
- Peel skins and grate beets into a bowl.
- Add the yogurt, garlic, onion, dill, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil to the beets.
- Mix well and let sit for at least an hour before serving.
- Add salt if needed and enjoy with bread or crackers.
Makes about 2 cups of dip