Purslane Potato Salad
Many potato salad recipes are simply potatoes and mayonnaise with maybe some herbs or celery thrown in. This recipe takes it up a notch by incorporating all kinds of vegetables and flavors for a more nutritional and enjoyable dish. One of the many ingredients is not too well known, but should be for it’s amazing nutritional benefits. Purslane is a powerhouse of a vegetable that likely grows wild in your yard. It has double the omega-3s and four times the vitamin E of any other leafy green known. It is packed with iron and antioxidants, and has a succulent, earthy flavor. We have heard and seen this delightful plant many times, thanks to John Kallas, PhD who wrote Edible Wild Plants, but was unsure how to incorporate it into our cooking. Well, with the help of Rachel Weaver, M.H. who wrote Backyard Pharmacy: Weeds that Heal we sought out to make a potato salad of our own, and let me say, it is nothing short of delicious.
What You’ll Need:
- About 3 lbs potatoes
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped into small florets
- large handful of purslane, stems removed and roughly chopped
for the dressing:
- 1 cup yogurt
- 1-2 cups mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 T dijon mustard
- handful of fresh parsley and dill, chopped
- celery salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 1 garlic scape, minced
What to Do:
- Fill a large pot half way with water and bring to a boil. Chop potatoes into medium-small sized chunks and add to boiling water. Let cook for about 15 minutes or until tender. Drain and let cool.
- Prepare your dressing by mixing all ingredients together in a measuring cup. Taste and add celery salt if needed. This should make about 3 cups of dressing.
- Prepare your celery, carrots, broccoli, and purslane and combine in a large bowl. Once potatoes are cooled, add to bowl. Stir to mix.
- Pour dressing over top veggies and mix well. Add more mayonnaise and/or yogurt if too dry, and salt if needed. Chill for 20 minutes and stir before serving.
Serves 15-20 people