Pumpkin Parfait with Ginger Cashew Cream
This versatile vegan alternative to a yogurt parfait is a great way to use up that extra pumpkin puree in the fridge. Serve at a Halloween party as a delightful treat, or enjoy the benefits of ginger’s natural therapeutic properties to get the digestive juices going for a beneficial breakfast.
- 1 pomegranate
- 1/4 cup raw hazelnuts chopped with a dash of cinnamon
- 1/2 cup seasonal pumpkin puree
- 1 tsp pure maple syrup
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- dash nutmeg
- dash allspice
- dash clove
For the Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 T fresh ginger, grated
- 1 T pure maple syrup
- 2 T raw coconut oil, melted
- Simmer cashews in water for about 15-20 minutes. They should double in size when done. Set aside to cool.
- Mix pumpkin puree with cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, and clove. Add 1 tsp maple syrup.
- To make cashew cream, puree cashews with maple syrup, coconut oil, and ginger until smooth. If needed add more water to help achieve a smooth consistency. Let puree set in fridge for about 10 minutes or more.
- De-seed pomegranate putting seeds in water. This helps to separate the seeds from the membrane of the fruit. Discard the membrane and drain water from seeds.
- Choose your favorite parfait glass or cup and begin layering with hazelnuts, spiced pumpkin puree, pomegranate, and ginger cashew cream consecutively. You can layer as many times as you want (depending on the size of your glass and the amount of ingredients you have). Top with remaining hazelnuts and serve.
Photo credit: Tia Ohm