Pumpkin Chickpea Fritters
Fall is here and the weather is cooling, but the change in colors and ingredients bring a creative edge to the table. This week we have an enticing treat. Gooey on the inside, crunchy on the outside, these fritters are nothing less than homey. Vary the ingredients to your liking, or enjoy as shown.
What You’ll Need:
- 15 oz chickpeas, (canned or fresh)
- 1/2 cup organic pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 farm fresh egg
- 1-2 tsp whole wheat flour (optional)
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (for coating)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg
- dash of cayenne pepper
- handful of grated Parmesan
- sea salt and cracked black pepper
- non-GMO canola oil for frying
What to Do:
- Add chickpeas and pumpkin puree to a large bowl and mash with fork or potato masher.
- Add sunflower seeds, garlic, vinegar, egg, flour, Parmesan, and spices to the bowl and mix until well incorporated.
- Form mixture into small balls (depending on how big you want your fritters) and roll in panko breadcrumbs until well coated. Press the balls with your hands to form a patty shape. Refrigerate for at least a half hour.
- When fritters are ready, add a few tablespoons of oil to a pan and allow to heat up.
- When hot, place fritters in oil and fry for a few minutes on each side or until golden brown.
- Transfer to paper towel or paper bag to dry.
- Serve on a bed of greens or with a simple yogurt sauce and enjoy!