No-Bake Cookie Balls
This time of year we are often overloaded with desserts, and it’s hard to resist the temptation of a gooey chocolate chip cookie right out of the oven. Not only are the common Christmas cookies overloaded with sugar, but they are jam packed with white flours, or GMO oils, which we all know are not the healthiest things in the pantry. This year, we tried to eliminate the common cookie and replace it with something a bit healthier. These no-bake cookie balls are gluten free, and only contain natural sugars from dates. Hopefully this can satisfy those Christmas cookie cravings and change our outlook on holiday desserts all together.
- 2 cups raw nuts of your choice (we chose 1 cup walnuts and 1 cup almonds)
- 6 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- dash cinnamon
- dash sea salt
- unsweetened coconut flakes, for coating
- Combine all ingredients, except coconut flakes, to a food processor. Blend until all ingredients are chopped small and a ball begins to form.
- Begin rolling your cookie balls. Take one spoonful of mixture at a time and roll in your palms to form a small ball. Roll the cookie ball in the coconut flakes until well coated. Repeat until you are out of ingredients.
- Refrigerate for a harder cookie ball, or serve room temperature.
Makes about 16 cookie balls
Photo credit: Tia Ohm