Homemade Meatballs with Zucchini Noodles
Over a year ago, it the midst of the cold and frigid winter months we were dreaming of summer. Thoughts of fresh and plentiful vegetables came to mind, and we yearned for the taste of those flavors. In spite of this, we mustered up one of my favorite recipes on this blog, the zucchini noodles with pesto (see link to recipe below). Now in the heart of summer, where those dreams become a reality, we are faced with an abundant of that desired vegetable and there is nothing that pairs better than our favorite meatball recipe. Homemade meatballs have always been a favorite in our house, ever since my grandmother made them (and I’m sure her grandmother before her). But now we have achieved a recipe that we use religiously and it is, to say the least, delicious. Simply a well thought out, moist and flavorful delight. Inspired by Meatball Nirvana and perfected by our very own Ohm home, this recipe takes the cake and is a wonderful summer night’s dish with our jarred tomato sauce, and freshly picked herbs.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/2 lb chopped grass-fed beef
- 1/2 lb loose grass-fed sausage*
- 1 pastured eggs
- 1/3 cup raw milk
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 1/2 cup unseasoned breadcrumbs (check ingredient list and make sure nothing else is added!)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 1 T Worcestershire
- dash of hot sauce
- 1/3 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- freshly grated black pepper
*note: you can omit the sausage and use just 1 pound of beef instead
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 400° and prep your fresh herbs, onions and garlic.
- Combine all ingredients together and mix well until combined.
- Roll into 2-inch sized rounds and place on large baking sheet. Repeat until all the meat has been used.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 25 minutes, checking occasionally until the tops turn brown.
- Remove from oven and serve in your favorite tomato sauce on top zoodles (zucchini noodles) with freshly grated parmesan.
See here for our favorite zucchini noodle recipe!
Makes about 10-12 meatballs