Homemade Bug Spray
The hot and humid summer weather is just about here, and you know what that means; mosquitoes. Each summer we battle bug bites with a common chemical filled insect repellent you find at the store. Nobody likes getting bit all over, but then again, who wants to coat themselves in DEET and other harmful chemicals? Finally we decided enough is enough, and made our own. There can be so many different variations to this recipe, so you will have to try out different combinations and make what works best for you and your nose. In addition, we used vodka to help keep away tics.
What You’ll Need:
- About 20-30 drops of essential oils, commonly used are: Citronella, Tea Tree, Lavender, Mint, Eucalyptus, Clove, Lemongrass, and more! (mint and citrus scents work best)
- All Natural Witch Hazel (we used a cucumber scented brand which is quite refreshing)
- Distilled water
- Vodka (optional)
- 2 oz spray bottle
What to Do:
- Fill spray bottle half way with water.
- Fill almost to the top with 3/4 part witch hazel and 1/4 part vodka leaving some room for essential oils. (if not using vodka, fill almost to the top with all witch hazel)
- Add your essential oils. We added about 8 drops of each: Citronella, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus, and Lavender. Plus fresh lavender and mint leaves.
- Shake to mix, and you are ready to use!