Crispy Kale Chips
We finally found the trick to achieve the crispy kale chips you’ve always wanted. Thanks to Oh She Glows for the inspiration, and our local CSA for allowing us to harvest their crops until our hearts desired, we mustered up this tasty recipe. Here are the three most important things to keep in mind: 1. Keep the olive oil to a minimum. Putting too much will saturate the kale and prevent it from crisping up. 2. Make sure your kale is dry before baking. Any excess water will steam the leaves, wilting them. and 3. Bake at a low temperature for an extended period of time. Similar to dehydrating fruit, you want to cook at a low temperature for a longer time so that it removes the liquid from the vegetable. Play around with the ingredients for your favorite flavor, or stick with the simple but irresistible salt and pepper combo. Enjoy.
What You’ll Need:
- A ‘whole bunch of kale’, stems removed, and tore into large pieces
- 2 tsp mustard seed powder
- 1 T onion powder
- 1 T garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper
- 2 T olive oil
What to Do:
- Preheat oven to 300°.
- Prep kale by rinsing thoroughly and drying in a salad spinner.
- Fill a baking tray with kale and drizzle with olive oil.
- Season with desired flavors and toss to coat.
- Bake for 10 minutes, rotate, and then another 10 minutes.
- Let cool entirely on baking sheet before storing.