Cold Cucumber and Yogurt Soup
No one wants to admit it, but it’s true; summer is coming to a close. This weekend is Labor Day and what better than to get together, eat some crabs and enjoy the last licks of the summer air. This may be your last chance to get away with a cold soup, and you should because this one is quite tasty. It is similar to tzatziki in flavor, so I recommend serving it with a meat (preferably lamb or chicken) and some naan bread. You will notice, it is basically a gyro deconstructed. What a fun addition to any family get together.
What You’ll Need
- 4 large cucumbers (or 2 abnormally large garden cucumbers), halved, seeded and cut into chunks
- 3 cups organic, plain Greek yogurt
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2/3 cup loosely packed fresh dill
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- About 1/2 cup of extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
What to Do:
- In a blender or food processor combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. A food processor will make it less pulpy, or you can strain it if you don’t like the texture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight to allow flavors to soak in.
- Taste and add salt if needed. Serve with naan or plain.
Serves 6-8 people