Coconut Popcorn with Parmesan Cheese
Have you ever heard of using coconut oil for popcorn? We didn’t either, but when we tried it, we decided nothing competes with that flavor. A lot of people shy away from the strong flavor of coconut oil, but with the saltiness of the popcorn, and nuttiness of the Parmesan, it pears perfectly. Forget the microwave, this can be made in less than 10 minutes on the stove top, and is a great snack for the kids. And though it may seem simple, savor every bite ’cause before you know it, it’ll be gone.
What You’ll Need:
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup organic popcorn kernels
- A few tablespoons of grated Parmesan (or more if you’d like)
- sea salt and cracked pepper to taste
- extra butter or coconut oil to melt (optional)
What to Do:
- Melt coconut oil in a large (preferably cast iron) skillet over medium low heat. We like to use a wok because it transfers the heat best.
- Once oil is melted, add the popcorn and stir constantly for a few minutes until the kernels begin to look plump. Turn the flame down to low and cover.
- In a few minutes you will start to hear the popping; it starts slow and speeds up. Let pop for about 5 minutes or until the popping increments slow down significantly.
- Turn heat off and all the last few kernels to pop before uncovering.
- Generously salt the popcorn. Coat lightly in Parmesan, (or a lot if you like it cheesy!) and turn your cracked pepper a couple times (it gets spicy quick).
- Top with extra butter or coconut oil if desired, and serve immediately with the family in front of your favorite movie. Enjoy!
Makes a large bowl of popcorn