Coconut Pistachio Ice Cream
Sometimes choosing coconut cream over regular cream can be a fun twist in flavor. The light sweetness of the coconut cream and maple syrup with the salty and nuttiness of the pistachios makes this ice cream so incredibly tasty. Add a touch of lemon and it’s perfectly balanced. Similar to it’s butter pecan counter part, but much less in sugar, I think this ice cream is my new favorite summer dessert. If you don’t have almond extract, I strongly suggest buying some as that slight amaretto flavor, brings this to a whole other level. I would like to top with raspberries next time for some added tang, but eating just as is, seems to do the trick. Craving a bit of chocolate? Top with raw cacao nibs and you’re free to indulge. Don’t forget to share with the kids as I’m sure they will be just as pleased.
What You’ll Need:
- 1 can full fat coconut milk in a can
- 1/2 cup shelled pistachios (roasted and salted)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 1-2 T maple syrup, optional
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
for topping (optional):
- extra nuts
- cacao nibs
What to Do:
- Refrigerate your can of coconut milk overnight or for several hours.
- In a high speed blender or food processor, blend together your coconut cream, extracts and sweetener until smooth. Add your pistachios and blend until pistachios are broken up to desired sized chunks.
- Pour into a glass dish and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Freeze for at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally until it freezes to your liking.
*If it is too frozen when you remove from freezer, allow to warm up a bit and enjoy with your favorite toppings. **I would suggest using an ice cream maker in replace of step 3 if you have one. Just use as per manual’s instructions. We did not have one, and it turned out a bit more crystallized than I would have liked. Still delicious! Makes 2-3 cups of ice cream