Beet Okroshka (A Cold Russian Soup)
A bit sweet, a little sour and filled with probiotics, this is an authentic Russian soup to cool you down on those hot summer days.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 medium sized beets
- 5 medium-small potatoes, chopped and boiled for 5-10 minutes
- 1 large English cucumber, shredded
- 5-6 green onions, chopped
- a large handful of fresh dill, chopped
- 2-3 cloves of raw garlic, minced
- 1 quart of milk kefir
- 1 quart spring water
- a couple large scoops of sour cream
- sea salt to taste
What to Do:
- Wash your beets, and leaving skins on, boil for about 15-20 minutes or until fork is inserted easily. Let cool and remove skins. Shred your beets and add to a large serving bowl or pot.
- Add cooked potatoes, shredded cucumber, chopped onions, chopped dill, milk kefir, water, salt and sour cream and mix to incorporate flavor. Let mixture sit for a half hour, then add the garlic and more salt or sour cream if needed before serving. It should be a watery but creamy consistency. If your mixture is too sour or thin, add some more sour cream.
- Enjoy with bread or just as is.