This easy-to-make homemade toothpaste is great for building bone strength, remineralizing, and scrubbing any unwanted particles off your teeth. Coconut oil is added to make it into a paste, but is beneficial in so many ways and adds flavor. Made with all natural and digestible ingredients to enjoy with your kids and toddlers without worrying if they swallow it. Flavor as desired, with one or many essential oils, as some like a minty paste and other like fruity. Beware, the texture and taste will be a bit different than you are used to; a bit salty and crunchy. Don’t let that scare you away! These ingredients work wonders on creating whiter and stronger teeth like never before.
What You’ll Need:
- 4 parts calcium magnesium powder
- 2 parts diatomaceous earth, if available or 2 parts baking soda
- 2-3 parts all natural xylitol powder (for sweetening)
- 5 parts coconut oil
- 15 drops food grade essential oils of your choice (peppermint, spearmint, orange, cinnamon, and clove work great)
We used teaspoons as the measurements for a smaller amount, but plan on using tablespoons to make a larger portion to keep longer.
What to Do:
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add coconut oil one part at a time and mix with the back of a spoon until desired consistency is reached. If you want a smoother consistency, the xylitol we have is crunchy, mash with mortar and pestle until smooth.
- Add essential oils and mix well.
- Store in a glass jar or squeezable container in a cool place (the coconut oil will melt otherwise). One blogger mentioned putting into a plastic bag and cutting the tip off for an easy squeezable tube; I think I’ll try that next time!