Issue 31 - Fall 2011 - Article References
LETTER FROM THE EDITOR | Jeanne Ohm, DC
THE CONSCIOUS PATH | Seeking Wellness and Wisdom with Worldview Literacy, Part 2 of 2
FEATURE | INA MAY GASKIN: There From the Start
CHIROPRACTIC FOR LIFE | Epidurals: Facts, Implications and Alternatives
MIND-BODY-SPIRIT | Morning Wellness
BIRTH | In Honor of Midwifery
INFORMED CHOICE | Circumcision: Medically Unnecessary
THE OUTER WOMB | Co-sleeping as Nighttime Bonding
PARENTING | Wholeness, Not Perfectionism
FAMILY LIVING | Romancing the Mom
WELLNESS LIFESTYLE | Eye on the Ball: Why We Need to Fix Youth Sports
A MOMENT OF TRUTH | Too Many Things
TOUCH THE FUTURE | Creating Learning Communities
NUTRITION | Resolving Food Sensitivities with Good Taste
GREENER PERSPECTIVES | Fence Rows and Gut Health
HOLISTIC HEALTHCARE | Finding Stillness to Cure the Illness
NEW EDGE SCIENCE | Understanding Why We Change
- Marilyn Schlitz, PhD, of IONS, Audio Interview with Pathways to Family Wellness: youtube.com/watch?v=V2SvwS4945s
- Pathways Connect: www.youtube.com/PathwaysConnect
- IONS Institute of Noetic Sciences: www.noetic.org
- “The Worldview Literacy Project,” www.noetic.org/education/worldview/overview
- “Shift Issue 14 - The 2007 Shift Report,” www.noetic.org/library/magazines/shift-issue-14
Pathways and Ina May
Ina May was the recipient of the Lifetime Achievement Award at the opening of the new Museum of Motherhood in New York City in September 2011. Pathways was a Gold Sponsor of the event, which included a live webcast performance of the play Birth, and featured the cover of the Pathways September issue among its birth exhibits. View photos of Ina May at Pathways at the event here: facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2250928546983.128848.1061321878
Pathways Connect Videos:
- Ina May Gaskin on Birth Matters: A Midwife's Manifesta: www.youtube.com/watch?v=kHW17Dx8ajY
- Ina May Gaskin and Karen Brody on Birth, the Play and the Movement: www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMDbLy6EqLs
- Ina May Gaskinn on the Human Impact of High Tech Birth: www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GVYjcr4wrg
- Ina May Gaskin - Pleasure Bonding in Birth for Couples: www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACVU6ZYaGcQ
- Balaskas, Janet. Active Birth. Boston: Harvard Common Press, 1992
- DONA International: www.dona.org
- England, Pam, CNM. Birthing From Within. Albuquerque: Partera Press, 1998.
- Gaskin, Ina May. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. New York: Bantam Books, 2008.
- Goer, Henci. Obstetric Myths vs. Research Realities. New York: Berkley Publishing Group, 1999.
- Goer, Henci. The Thinking Woman’s Guide to a Better Birth. New York: Berkley Publishing Group, 1999.
- Poggi, S. et al, “Effect of Epidural Anesthesia on Clinician-Applied Force During Vaginal Delivery,” American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology Vol 191 (2004): 903-906
- Simkin, P. and A. Bolding, “Update on Nonpharmacologic Approaches to Relieve Labor Pain and Prevent Suffering,” Journal of Midwifery & Women’s Health Vol 49(6) (2004): 489-504.
- Chad, A., et al., “Oxytocin Exposure during Labor among Women with Postpartum Hemorrhage Secondary to Uterine Atony,” American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology 204(1) (2011): 56.e1-56.e6.
- Chang, J., et al., “Pregnancy-related mortality in the United States,” Journal Obstetric Gynecology. 101(2) (2003): 289-96.
- Gaskin, Ina May, “Maternal Death in the United States: A Problem Solved or a Problem Ignored?” Journal of Perinatal Education 17(2) (2008): 9–13.
- “Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report,” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention 47(34) (1998):705-707.
- WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA, The World Bank. 2010. Trends in maternal mortality 1990-2008: Estimates developed by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA and The World Bank. Geneva: World Health Organization.
- Attorneys for the Rights of the Child (ARC): www.arclaw.org
- Doctors Opposing Circumcision (DOC): www.doctorsopposingcircumcision.org
- Intact America: intactamerica.org
- Jews Against Circumcision: jewsagainstcircumcision.org
- Jewish Circumcision Resource Center: jewishcircumcision.org
- National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers (NOCIRC): www.nocirc.org
- National Organization of Restoring Men: www.norm.org
- National Organization to Halt the Abuse and Routine Mutilation of Males (NOHARMM): www.noharmm.org
- Nurses for the Rights of the Child (NRC): www.nurses.cirp.org
- “Why Babies Should Never Sleep Alone: A Review of the Co-sleeping Controversy in relation to SIDS, Bedsharing and Breast Feeding,” www.cosleeping.nd.edu/assets/31970/mckenna_why_babies_should_n.pdf
- National Alliance for Youth Sports: www.nays.org/index.cfm
- Ellis, William. Community Life-Long Learning Centres.
- Miller, Ron. Creating Learning Communities. Resource Center for Redesigning, 2000.
- Mintz, Jerry. Homeschool Support Groups and Resource Centres.
- Priesnitz, Wendy. Challenging Assumptions in Education. Alternate Pr, 2000.
- “When the School Doors Close: A Midsummer Night’s Dream,” www.parentatthehelm.com/5647/when-the-school-doors-close-a-midsummer-nights-dream